Sunday, April 13, 2008

Creature from outer space

Do you know what it feels like to be stared at? I mean unabashedly studied as if you were an alien or some foreign creature. Well I do. I am that foreign creature. Before this trip I knew that I would stick out. In the States I stand out because of my height, but even so I look like many of the people around me. Sometimes people are surprised to learn that I speak Spanish and that I look.....well.....white. Here in Southern India the color of my skin sets me apart from 99.9% of every other person on the street. While strolling through the bustling streets I always feel the weight of eyes on me. It's funny to see little boys and girls giggling at you. Sometimes it's like we're the amusement for these people, some sort of entertainment. Parents point us out to their kids so they can see what a light skinned person looks like. Sometimes they timidly come up to us and shake our hands saying "How are you?". Then they scamper away while giggling with their friends.

At other times it's more of an expression of confusion pasted on their faces. Their puzzling eyes wondering what in the world we're doing in their little town. They want us to hold their babies and have even asked me how I get my skin so white. A lady even brushed Anne's face in wonderment as we waited at a temple. People ask us to take pictures with them and sometimes even without them. It's like they want to show their friends back home that they did infact see a white person. It's not just a tale; now they have proof. At times I feel like I movie star. At other times I mumble under my breath "yes, I'm white. You're not seeing things".

I don't mind waving at the kids and smiling at the families, but what I do mind is when men stare with THAT look in their eye that makes you feel uncomfortable inside. Today while having lunch at a hotel this young guy (probably in his mid 20s-early 30s) kept looking over at Anne and me. And by looking I mean constantly staring. A staring that annoys and disgusts at the same time. I guess part of it is the way we were dressed. We were wearing sleeveless shirts!(uncommon in this part of India other than Mamallapuram). Well being the way I am I stared back and then rolled my eyes at him as I shook my head. I probably wouldn't have done this if I hadn't been with our classmate Chris (guy) and at a place where the waitstaff knows us. The guy proceeded to introduce himself to Chris and only talk to him about why we were there. It's hard being in this kind of culture.

I am enjoying myself and although at times it is an annoyance I don't much mind. Most people are friendly and find it an honor to talk with us. I hope that in some ways they can that we are humans just like them.

3 comments:

angelica said...

Cristi
Attracting attention is not easy but I'm sure you would get used to it in the next few weeks. Then you would be back here and be just one more...
I remembered having that feeling in China. I should say that since we were in big cities people was not as curious about us as you describe but still was that feeling of being different to everybody around us.
Mom

Unknown said...

Hmm, I don't like that weird guy staring at you. If it happens again tell him you know a big American boy who will put him in his place (me). That'll show him :)

Eliecer said...

Cristi, pls tell Chris I saw his blogspot, very,very good. The photos are very helpful as they complete his comments .