Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Vanakam

Hello Readers,

I apologize for not writing yesterday. Our days have been packed and by the time we're done with work I find myself exhausted from the heat. Today was such an interesting day. This week I'm posted on the CHAD rotation. It stands for Community Health And Development and is part of the CMC. I like to think of CHAD as the smaller hospital of the two hospitals that make up CMC. Yesterday we got an orientation and a tour of the CHAD hospital. It is such an amazing system. I wish I remembered everything the nice lady told me, but I've forgotten much of it! I was able to buy a book that explains CHAD in detail so no worries. I just haven't had a chance to read it. I have some great pictures of the hospital.

These are some of the things I remember from yesterday:

The hospital is open to the elements. There are two courtyards and no air conditioning. Everything is pretty minimal but enough to provide the service so greatly needed by the people of this area. Chipping paint, stretchers without matresses, no single rooms. Most people stay in wards that hold about 5-6 patients. These "wards" are basically large rooms without A/C or any sort of flooring other than cement. During the tour we took a tour of the Leprosy Ward. It's located a few meters from the hospital and is made of stone. The only thing protecting this ward from the elements is a roof and two walls. Here people with leprosy can stay any time they want but most come when they have a wound that needs frequent dressing changes or during Christmas (they get lots of presents!). The great thing about this ward is that the person in charge of dressing changes is a man with leprosy. He has found meaning in caring for those that suffer the same ailment as him.

As the name implies, CHAD not only deals with the health aspect of the community but also with development. They provide counseling services and health education and try to find ways to encourage social and economic development. They have helped people form cooperatives and small unions, one of them is of women welders! They have set up a small shop in the large hospital where women can sell crafts they make. I've already stopped by and picked up a couple of things :).

I have more to say, but I have to admit that I'm tired and my brain is mush. I will try to write tomorrow and tell you about the villages I will be visiting for the rest of this week. It's hard to even begin to describe how awesome it is!

Tamil word of the day= Vanakam (Hello)

2 comments:

angelica said...

Cristi,
Can not wait to see the pictures. Is the weather like Houston in summer time? What about trees/vegetation? It is hard to imagine a building so simple to be part of the hospital facilities. It is certainly a different world!
love,

Mom

Eliecer said...

Vanakam
Cristi, they say that one photo is worth one thousand words. In your case, going thru this experience has a superior value, it will change your perceptions and concepts on happiness, justice, friendship, prejudices,etc.
Good luck
Papi